The world is changing rapidly, requiring organisations to adapt and evolve swiftly and effectively
Becoming a more agile, adaptive organisation usually requires significant change to ways of working at all levels, from the Board to teams on the ground.
Decision-making needs to be decentralised (empowering teams and individuals) and responsive (stopping non-value adding activities and reprioritising resources as needed).
The organisational culture and supporting services need to enable and encourage not hinder agile ways of working.
Improving business agility is not just about Agile delivery...
It is about becoming an adaptive organisation which responds rapidly and effectively to changing circumstances.
This may require changes throughout an organisation, e.g. leaders need to set out a clear vision, and empower teams to self-organise and deliver; organisation structures need to enable adaptable and responsive resource management, procurement practices need to support flexible, value-based contracts; and policies need to reward team-working and innovation.
We can help you achieve this.
Our approach works on two levels
- Leadership & organisation – Becoming an adaptive, agile organisation needs to come from the top. This means understanding what the desired culture and behaviours will look like, and supporting changes in leadership style and behaviours to enable the vision. Also essential is working closely with support functions (e.g. finance, IT, procurement, HR) to enable flexible ways of working, putting in place organisational structures and policies which support and reinforce the new culture.
- People & delivery – Organisational processes, practices and tools will need to change to support new ways of working, including rapid re-prioritisation and flexible resource management. Strong leadership supported by revised HR policies should empower individuals and teams to make decisions, supporting delivery through appropriate, effective governance. Reinforcing activities such as setting up communities of practice and transferring skills and knowledge to internal teams are key to sustain the change and create an adaptive organisation.
One of the key early activities we undertake is to identify specific barriers. These are likely to include: lack of a clear vision, skills and capability gaps; low engagement and adoption of new ways of working; confusion over agile governance and delivery monitoring; and fixed organisation structures and mindsets which inhibit rather than support flexible team- and outcome-based resourcing.
We will help you become more flexible and adaptive through developing:
- A clearly communicated vision of the future organisation
- Leaders who champion agile working, empowering and supporting their teams
- A culture which encourages learning and continuous improvement
- Organisational and governance structures which encourage flexible new ways of working, cross-functional working, knowledge-sharing and collaboration
- Access to the right information to enable rapid decision-making and prioritising
- Embedded agile working practices and mindset at all levels